Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The music of my life

I'm not sure if I am like other writers or not. I suppose we are all different with our methods and how we get into the “zone”. The easiest way for me to find that zone is through music, and I realized I can tell you what music I was listening to when I wrote each chapter.

In my book, The Last Guardian, there are four main male characters. Each character has his own playlist and style of music that I listen to when writing their scenes. The lists include music I feel goes best with each character and what they like.

The main character of book one is Mika Elkhart. He is of Lakota heritage, and while you might think he would listen to R. Carlos Nakai, which he does on occasion. However, if you pulled up Mika's playlist, you would find he likes 80's hair bands. His favorite: Guns n' Roses – Welcome to the Jungle.

The oldest of the four characters is Fergus Wolfe. Fergus has fought moving into the modern era, and strongly believes feels there is no merit to anything that is considered current. He would rather spend his time listening to composers from the Baroque period. Often you will find him practicing the Johann Sebastian Bach's Cello Suite when he is alone.

Saint Wolfe is the younger brother of Fergus. He loves opera and finds it rather frustrating that out of all his talents, singing is not one of them. However, that does not stop him from humming around the house. Saint's favorite: Largo al Factum, from the Barber of Seville.

Finally, that leaves Ghost, who is basically all over the charts when it comes to his musical tastes. The first song on his playlist happens to be To Hard to Handle by the Black Crows. I think that says a lot about him.

By no means are these the only songs on each characters list, and as time goes by I am sure I will add more.

No comments:

Post a Comment